Sunday, March 21, 2010

Emergency Brake Cable Tube Installation

March 21, 2010 - It's been almost 4 months since my last blog entry. The weather here in Tampa, FL has been way too cold for us thin-blooded FL dwellers to do any serious work outside. However, the first day of Spring was quite warm ~80F and allowed me to continue making forward progress.

I had to fabricate new emergency brake cable tubes. The right tube held the biggest challenge as it was required about a 60 degeree bend while the left tube was about a 4" straight section. I used 1/2" electrical conduit to make the new tubes.

Below is the the left inner firewall piece from AutoAtlanta which I previously welded into place. As you can see, my welding is not great but the tack welds should be sufficient to hold them in place.



Here are a couple more pics of the inner firewall tubes.





Here's a shot of the outer firewall showing both tubes.



Here's a closeup shot of the left inner firewall tube:



Here's a closeup of the right inner firewall tube. You can see I also had to fabricate a standoff from the firewall to anchor the tube.



I hope to finish metal filling all of the little holes and such with All-Metal Filler from Eastwood that abound in the doorsills, floorboards, and outer firewall this week in preparation for priming both interior and hell-hole/tranny area with Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator this coming weekend given the weather co-operates.

If weather co-operates and the primer is applied, the following weekend will be spent painting the interior with the leftover body paint. I'll use Eastwood's Rubberized Undercoating to paint the hell-hole/tranny area.

No comments: